Frequently Asked Questions

Main Content

When can I fill out my FAFSA?
Fill out your FAFSA as soon as possible after Oct. 1. SIU (Federal School Code 001758) should be listed as a school choice.

Can I still register/drop a class?
Information on register/drop a class deadlines and dates can be found here.

When is the deadline to sign up for graduation?
Information on graduation deadlines and dates can be found on the Registrar's webpage

How do I take my math placement test?
Visit SalukiNet and log in using your Network ID (siu85xxxxxxx) and password. Click the MyRecords tab in the left column, and you will see a Registration Pre-Requisites and Placement Tests channel. Click on the Math Placement Test link within that channel, and it will take you to the Math Placement website.

When can I move in?
The schedule for move-in is at the University Housing website.

How do I sign up for New Student Orientation?
Visit New Student Orientation online, and click Sign Up for Orientation.

How do I find a roommate?
Information about roommates and room selection is available here.

How do I learn about my roommate?
Contact and profile information about your roommate can be viewed in the housing portal once the room is selected. Information about building a successful relationship with your roommate can be found here.

What is Honors Day, and when is it?
Honors Day is an annual celebration of the academic achievement of undergraduate students. It is TBD.

When is Thanksgiving break?
Thanksgiving break and other holiday breaks are listed on the Academic Calendar.

When is spring break?
Spring break and other holiday breaks are listed on the Academic Calendar.

Will campus be open during spring break?
Yes. Please see the Academic Calendar for Spring break dates.

When is commencement?
Commencement dates and other commencement information is listed here.

What time do I graduate?
Graduation times can be found here.

When is summer school?
Summer schedules and acadmic calendar information can be found here.

What are the hours at Morris Library?
A full schedule of hours for Morris Library can be found here.

Where can I get a copy of my final transcripts?
Visit the Office of the Registrar website. SIU transcripts are $5 per copy.  Exact pricing for filling orders will depend on selected ordering options and payment type. A transcript will not be released if any outstanding financial obligations or holds exist on a student's bursar account.  Transcripts are not available the same day and may take a few days to process.

Where can I submit my high school transcripts, and how do I know they were received?
High school transcripts are to be submitted to Undergraduate Admissions. Once your high school transcripts are received, there will be a notice on SalukiNet.

Can I park on campus?
All students can park on campus with a parking decal. The decal you obtain and the locations you are able to park will vary depending on your status and where you live. You must complete the student decal application beforehand and bring a valid driver's license and your vehicle registration.

How can I find out about jobs on campus?
Go to the Student Jobs website and click on Job Search on the left side of the screen. From there, you will be able to see all on-campus job postings, classifications and requirements.

I am a student employee. Can I work over break?
If you have a student work position that is open during breaks, you are able to work up to 37.5 hours per week.

What should I bring with me to campus on move-in day?
University Housing provides a packing list. Review the list of what's included with your room, and familiarize yourself with the rules of living on campus before you purchase items for your room.

Where do I get my books?
Textbooks may be rented or purchased at the University Bookstore, which is on the first floor of the Student Center. Carbondale also has off-campus bookstores.

Who can answer questions about my bill?
The Bursar Office is available at 618-453-2221, or go to the second floor of the Student Services Building.

Is there an easy way to get around?
The Saluki Express mass transit system has routes that include campus and community sites, including grocery stores, University Mall and Murdale Shopping Center. Students ride free with their SIU ID card.

How can I get a refund on health insurance?
Insurance refunds are done electronically beginning 30 days before the start of each fall semester. The deadline to request a refund is the second Friday of the fall and spring semesters and the first Friday of summer semester. Once a refund is requested online in the fall, you are exempt for one year. If you are entering SIU in the spring or summer, you may apply for the refund for that semester but will need to apply again in the fall. Then you will be exempt for one year.

What days are we out of school?
The Academic Calendar shows when campus will be closed.

Where and when do I get my tablet?
During the move-in process, you will be given more information about tablet distribution. After a training session, you will be able to pick up your tablet.

Where can I get regular services (car repairs, haircut, shopping, etc.)?
There are many places in Carbondale and neighboring cities offering those services.

When is Family Weekend, and what are expectations?
SIU’s Family Weekend highlights include Saluki Football, Saluki Family Tailgate, Chancellor's Family Weekend Brunch, Annual Greek Sing, volleyball, craft sales, campus tours and much more! 

How can I change my major?
Students should see the advisement unit within their college if they are interested in changing majors, adding a concentration to their major, adding a minor, etc.  Undergraduate students may need to satisfy a certain minimum GPA in order for such changes to be permitted (see section "Changing Majors" in Chapter 2 of the undergraduate catalog for details). Formal paperwork requesting curricular changes for a term must be received by the Registrar's Office (or the Graduate School in the case of graduate students) by Week 2 of the term; otherwise, the change will be put into effect for the following term.

Are SIU sporting events free?
Tickets within the designated student section are free for SIU students with student ID.

I need a tutor. Where do I go?
The Center for Learning Support Services provides tutoring for a variety of courses. Group study sessions are offered in many 100- and 200-level Core Curriculum classes. Academic coaching offers individualized assistance with course content and study skills and strategies.

When is Homecoming?
Homecoming dates can be found here.

Where can I go when I am sick? Is there a pharmacy on campus?
The Student Health Center is open 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. It provides primary care for routine, acute and chronic illnesses. There is a full-service pharmacy where students may fill prescriptions and purchase over-the-counter items.

When are scholarship deadlines?
Scholarship deadlines vary. All scholarship information is available on a searchable database.

What is the schedule for my finals?
The finals schedule can be found here.

When will I get my grades?
The deadline for professors to submit grades is at 3 p.m. the Monday after Finals Week. Grades may be available sooner, and you can check SalukiNet to see if they have been posted.

How do I apply for internships?
Career Services has resources available to students in the internship search process.

What do I do if I feel alone, scared, depressed, stressed, bullied, etc.?
The Counseling Center provides crisis walk-in counseling as well as group, individual and couple counseling to SIU students. The professional psychologists and counselors are trained to help students discover ways to cope more effectively with problems.

I don't have enough money to pay my bills. What do I do?
The Financial Aid Office can help you maximize the financial assistance for which you are eligible.

How do I know if classes will be canceled because of weather?
The university will send an email to all faculty and students in the event there is severe weather and the campus will be closed.

Where do I turn for technical assistance for SIU online and my email account?
The Information Technology Service Center provides telephone, walk-in, email and online computing support for students. It can be reached at 618-453-2221.